I'm currently reading the John Adams biography by David McCullough
which is really good. It seems like history has overlooked Adams a
little, giving more glory to Jefferson and Washington.
Anyways, as they mentioned where the different people were from I became
curious about the distribution of birth places of Presidents.
So here's the visual, a Google Earth set of the birth places mapped.
I didn't plot them to be very precise, such as the exact coordinates, just the rough city or area.
US_Presidents.kml (right-click Save As...)
A little data:
- only one President was born in California, Nixon
- Virginia still reigns supreme with 8 Presidential birthplaces
- Ohio surprised me with 7 Presidential birthplaces
- Pennsylvania was also a surprise, but for having only 1
- Herbert Hoover was the first President born West of the Mississippi,
and total only 7 Presidents have been born in the West
You will need: Google Earth to